American Golf, welcomed 100 juniors aged from 7 to 18 to its inaugural Junior Championship - the champion title was fiercely contested with the eventual winner being decided on countback.
American Golf, welcomed 100 juniors aged from 7 to 18 to its inaugural Junior Championship at De Vere Mottram Hall this week.
Competitors travelled from all across the UK to participate in the tournament, which was described as ‘the best Junior event of the Summer’ by parents who accompanied their children to the event.
The title of American Golf Club Junior Champion was fiercely contested with the eventual winner being decided on countback. Despite finishing birdie, birdie, par, Libby Kilbridie, who was crowned Girls’ Champion, was pipped by Paul Marshall of Sale Golf Club. Both players scored an impressive 42 Stableford points.
The gross competition also went to countback with Matthew Payne from Bramhall Golf Club beating James Abbey of Sale Golf Club, both of whom shot 75. The 29-54 handicap category went to Joe Hartshore from Cannock Park Golf Club and the title of Putting Champion was taken by Ben Heywood who won a very tense sudden death playoff involving 5 other players.
A special mention goes to one of the youngest competitors on the day, 7 year old Stanley Lin of Telford Golf Club. His attitude, dedication, demeanour and golfing abilities were all recognised when awarding him the ‘PING Star of the Future’ Award.
“Nothing could have prepared us for the incredible response we had to our first ever Junior Club Championship”, comments Daniel Gathercole, Head of Marketing at American Golf. “We were inundated with entries from players of all ages and abilities, so much so that we had a reserve list! We were really impressed by the standard of golf and sportsmanship that all the players showed and can’t wait to start developing our plans to take this event to the next level in 2015.”
American Golf Junior Club Champion
- Paul Marshall, 17 from Sale Golf Club. Handicap 15. Won with 42 points on countback.
- Libby Kilbride, 11 from Renishaw Park GC. Handicap 10. 42 points
- James Shering, 16 from Macclesfield GC. Handicap 22. 40 points
Best Gross Score
- Matthew Payne, 16 from Bramhall GC Handicap 4. Gross 75 - won on countback.
- James Abbey, 14 from Sale GC. Handicap 6. Gross 75.
- Luke Donnelly, 14 from Ashton on Mersey GC. Handicap 5. Gross 77.
29-54 Handicap Winner
- Joe Hartshore, 15 from Cannock Park GC. Handicap 36. Won 45 points.
- Daniel Harrison, 14 from Chevin GC. Handicap 29.
- Jack Mcnulty, 11 from Formby GC. Handicap 36.
- Libby Kilbride, 11 from Reinshaw Park GC. Handicap 10. 42 points
- Olivia Dyson, 13 from Redbourn GC. Handicap 31.
- Morgan Thomas, 13 from Beau Desert GC. Handicap 5.
PING Star of the Future Award (10yrs and under)
Stanley Lin, 7 from Telford GC.
Benjamin Heywood, 14 from Branston Golf & Country Club.