Welcome to the beta version of the new Women & Golf website. Our web monkeys are still hard at work and welcome your feedback.
“Arguably the prettiest golf course in Wales” but don’t just take our word for it- come and see for yourself!
Monmouth Golf Club was formed on the 25th June 1896 at a meeting held in the Kings Head Hotel.
There was another golf club in Monmouth called the Vauxhall Golf Club which had been formed in 1892 by members of the army garrison stationed in the town and the majority of its members were army personnel.
The first site of the club was on Priory Farm, near the Dixton Road. This proved unsuitable for golf and the club moved to Vauxhall, taking over the existing club and its course for a brief period. The Membership in the early years was about 30 to 40 people, which was deemed low. The club struggled to attract new members due to the length of the grass on the fairways – the landowner wanted to be able to make hay on the fairways as well as rent it as a golf course. A dispute arose regarding the cutting of the long grass by the members of the club which caused the landowner to complain that the club was exceeding the terms of the covenant. A court case followed, eventually leading to a High Court ruling in 1910 which defined a fairway. The ruling was made in the club’s favour although the course was closed in 1912. Several attempts were made to reopen but these were not successful until 1920 when the club was reformed at Dixton on part of the present course.
There are no reviews yet. Write one now.